DEPARTMENT: Server/Cloud VERSA Integrated Solutions, Inc. is a Maryland based SBA 8(a) certified engineering company. VERSA is committed to delivering technical expertise and engineering services that are both cost conscious and offer the highest return on investment for our customers. VERSA takes the time to fully understand our customers’ business needs, and engineers’ solutions that are both flexible and scalable to evolve as the customer grows and changes over time.
GENERAL JOB DESCRIPTION: Will support UNIX / AIX (Version 7) servers for production, development, and QA in a 24x7x365 environment. Will support security initiatives, network operations, and the database environment as needed. Will interact with developers, DBAs, other system administrators, managers, and customers to resolve technical issues. Will support agency Symantec Netbackup Enterprise backup and recovery system for all clients including Windows, Linux and AIX. Work hours will typically be Monday through Friday, 8AM to 5PM, but will be on-call for technical support and occasional weekend and night work.
MAJOR DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Install, configure, troubleshoot, upgrade, customize and maintain AIX V. 7 systems while ensuring overall system performance and availability.
- Monitor AIX systems, analyzing problems and performing research and maintenance to prevent reoccurrence.
- Test and document systems prior to deployment.
- Perform regular revalidation of system settings to ensure compliance to policies and needs.
- Use scripts to automate routine tasks.
- Be available to respond to the needs of a 24x7x365 environment.
- Create, modify, and delete account information. Evaluate access rights and permissions.
- Document system requirements, configurations, procedures, changes, incidents, and problem resolutions.
- Mitigate security breaches in progress.
- Backup and restore systems using NIM, mksysb, and Symantec NetBackup.
- Work with vendors for all aspects of system maintenance including annual maintenance renewals, hardware and software support.
- Adhere to all change control policies.
- Perform all other related duties.
Desired Skills and Knowledge:
- AIX V. 6 or 7 System administration
- Networking (DNS, TCP/IP, etc.)
- AIX storage (MPIO, VGs, LVMs, JFS)
- AIX security (ipsec, EFS, roles, sudo, trusted execution)
- AIX performance monitoring and reporting (NMON, topas)
- Server virtualization (LPARs, WPARs, VIO, etc.)
- IBM PowerVM and PowerHA
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux (especially the storage and security aspect)
- SAN experience (LUNs, NPIV)
- FC and FCoE.
- Scripting (ksh, perl, etc.)
- Monitoring and managing servers with a 24/7/365 level uptime.
- Experience with Symantec NetBackup software – NBU 7 and higher
- Hardware and software inventory management
- Develop and implement disaster recovery plans
- Use of personal computer with Microsoft business suite application software (Excel, Word, Visio)
- Effective written and verbal communication
- Values teamwork and works well with others
- Problem resolution and attention to detail
- Experience supporting database environments, preferably Sybase ASE
- Experience with Job Corps or any other Federal Agency
- Respond to attempted security breaches, and mitigate successful breaches.
- 2 to 3 years’ experience in UNIX system administration with at least 2 years of AIX 6 or 7.
- Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university. Related work experience
- may substitute for education requirement on a year-for-year basis.
KEY COMPENTENCIES: TBD