JOB TITLE: Senior Systems Engineer
DEPARTMENT: Network Design, Engineering and Deployments
VERSA Integrated Solutions, Inc. is a Maryland based SBA 8(a) certified engineering company. VERSA is committed to delivering technical expertise and engineering services that are both cost conscious and offer the highest return on investment for our customers.
Versa is looking for a Sr. Systems Engineer who will engineer operationally focused networking solutions that bring together various technologies legacy and advanced software-defined networking technology together in support of the Food and Drug Administration’s (FDA’s) network modernization efforts in cooperation and under guidance of the lead engineer.
GENERAL JOB DESCRIPTION:
The Sr. Systems Engineer will engineer solutions that incorporate multiple technologies, standards, processes, tools, and services into a stable, secure and effective system of systems in accordance with the FDA’s strategic direction and technical requirements. The selected candidate will also work directly with senior technical leaders and stakeholders to ensure that the proposed solutions are aligned with mission priorities, standards and establish requirements. Relevant industry best practices and trends should be considered but must remain in line with FDA regulation and Federal Architectural Framework (FEAF) guidance.
Duties and Responsibilities
- The Sr. Systems Engineer will work closely with the customer and other contractors to successfully plan, prepare, configure, install, test and deploy, all hardware and software required to establish an SDN fabric between datacenters.
- Work with lead engineer in coordinating all preparatory work required to facilitate the activities defined in modernizing the enterprise network infrastructure. Preparatory work will include configuration of all levels of network equipment, rack space, cabling, AC power, physical access for team members, coordination of after-hours activities, unpacking, staging and testing of equipment and the decommissioning of any legacy equipment.
- Requesting and receiving approvals using existing IT change management, work request and project management processes (CCBs, RQST-IT[i], Service Now, EPLC, etc.)
- Provide accurate configuration information to facilitate updates to the configuration documentation.
- Excellent verbal and written communication, interpersonal and customer service skills
- Strong organizational, time management and documentation skills
- Self-starter, with a desire to be in a fast-paced large enterprise telecommunications environment
- Software Defined Networking experience, particularly Cisco ACI SDN Controller (APICs), Service and NFV Orchestration, Cisco NSO, Network Functions Virtualization (NFV), or Virtual Network Functions (VNF)
- Network configuration experience, specifically with Juniper or Cisco routers, to include protocols such as BGP, MPLS, VPLS, Pseudowires and QoS
- Experience developing software using SDN modeling languages and protocols such as YANG NETCONF, RESTCONF and OpenFlow
- Understanding of VPC/VDC/COPP/Image Upgrade/VPC failure Scenario/OTV Understanding of VxLAN/COOP/VTEP/L3OUT/Cisco ACI terminology/Underlay Good verbal & oral communication skills.
- Configuration and support experience with Cisco ACI – Spine-leaf switches, APIC and APIC-EM controller, and F5 load balancer experience
- Extensive hands-on experience and troubleshooting experience in Network Protocols – BGP, OSPF, MPLS, IS-IS, STP, ECMP, vPC, etc.
- Experience with deploying network topology comprised of underlay/overlay with MPLS and L2/3 VPN
- Extensive experience with Cisco catalyst 9K, Cisco Nexus 9K, and Juniper MX480
- Extensive experience with Cisco IOS, IOS-XE routers, and Junos OS
- Experience with any of the following technologies/framework is a plus
- SolarWinds monitoring tool
- Experience with Agile framework-Scrum (Sprint/Kanban)
- Infoblox DDI
- Experience supporting HHS – Food and Drug Administration is plus
- Bachelor’s Degree in related technical discipline and minimum ten (10) years of supporting IT/Large Enterprise
- Proven ability to perform analysis and diagnosis of highly complex networking problems.
- Experience in documenting architecture specifications, diagramming and modeling
- Bachelors in Computer Science or equivalent degree and over eight (8) years of hands-on experience, or equivalent work experience
- Certifications: CCIE is highly desired
- Demonstrated knowledge around leading edge concepts in technology including networking, web, SDN, SaaS, IaaS, PaaS, virtualization, cybersecurity
- Demonstrated ability to serve as technical leader and team player
- Ability to assess/diagnose problems and requirements for work, identify root causes of technical problems, and recommend solutions
- Experience with Cisco networking and/or security platform
- Experience with multiple platforms and databases e.g. Microsoft and Unix/Linux, Mainframe, SQL, DB2, Oracle etc.
- Possess excellent organizational, communication, and writing skills
- Normal, with frequent work outside of typical shift hours.
- Up to 20% Washington DC metro depending on projects. (Typical 20%)
- Able to work in datacenters or small computer rooms.
- Able to lift 50lbs/23kg unassisted.