JOB TITLE: Mid-Level Network Engineer
DEPARTMENT: Network Design, Engineering and Deployments
VERSA Integrated Solutions, Inc. is a Maryland based SBA 8(a) certified engineering company. VERSA is committed to delivering technical expertise and engineering services that are both cost conscious and offer the highest return on investment for our customers.
Versa is looking for a Mid – Level Network Engineer (EA) who will assist in the engineering of operationally focused solutions that bring together various technologies that support the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) under guidance of senior and lead engineers.
GENERAL JOB DESCRIPTION:
The Mid-level Network Engineer will engineer solutions that incorporate multiple technologies, standards, processes, tools, and services into a stable, secure and effective system of systems in accordance with the FDA’s strategic direction and mission requirements. The selected candidate will also work directly with senior technical leaders and stakeholders to ensure that the proposed solutions are aligned with mission priorities, standards and establish requirements. Relevant industry best practices and trends should be considered but must remain in line with FDA regulation and Federal Architectural Framework (FEAF) guidance.
Duties and Responsibilities
- The Mid- Level Network Engineer will work closely with the customer and additional contractors to successfully plan, prepare, configure, install, test and deploy, all hardware and software required to establish an SDN fabric between datacenters.
- Work with senior and lead engineers in coordinating all preparatory work required to facilitate the activities defined in modernizing the enterprise network infrastructure.
- Preparatory work will include configuration of all levels of network equipment, rack space, cabling, AC power, physical access for team members, coordination of after-hours activities, unpacking, staging and testing of equipment and the decommissioning of any legacy equipment.
- Requesting and receiving approvals using existing IT change management, work request and project management processes (CCBs, RQST-IT[i], Service Now, EPLC, etc.)
- Provide accurate configuration information to facilitate updates to the configuration documentation.
- A proven track record of engineering, installations and deployment of enterprise level networking equipment and services solutions
- Proven infrastructure and system solution engineering experience
- Experience in troubleshooting complex network and/or data center environments.
- Extensive Experience working with routers, and Layer 2 and Layer 3 switches
- Knowledge and experience with routing protocols (OSPF, BGP, HSRP, IPSEC, MPLS, VRFs, etc)
- Hands on experience with configuring and deploying network equipment.
- Proven ability to perform analysis and diagnosis of highly complex networking problems.
- Experience in documenting architecture specifications, diagramming and modeling
- Experience architecting and integrating with both on premise and cloud and SaaS technology solutions
- Experience with Federal Civilian organizations
- Experience in presenting to an executive level audience – 3 years+
- Bachelors in Computer Science or equivalent degree and over four (4) years of hands-on experience, or equivalent work experience
- Certifications: Cisco CCNA, Cisco CCNP, CCIE is preferred
- Demonstrated knowledge around leading edge concepts in technology including networking, web, SDN, SaaS, IaaS, PaaS, virtualization, cybersecurity
- Demonstrated ability to serve as technical leader and team player
- Ability to assess/diagnose problems and requirements for work, identify root causes of technical problems, and recommend solutions
- Experience with Cisco networking and/or security platform
- Experience with multiple platforms and databases e.g. Microsoft and Unix/Linux, Mainframe, SQL, DB2, Oracle etc.
- Possess excellent organizational, communication, and writing skills
- Normal, with frequent work outside of typical shift hours.
- Up to 20% Washington DC metro depending on projects. (Typical 20%)
- Able to work in datacenters or small computer rooms.
- Able to lift 50lbs/23kg unassisted.