JOB TITLE: Junior Network Engineer
DEPARTMENT: Network Design, Engineering and Deployments
VERSA Integrated Solutions, Inc. is a Maryland based SBA 8(a) certified engineering company. VERSA is committed to delivering technical expertise and engineering services that are both cost conscious and offer the highest return on investment for our customers.
Versa is looking for Jr. Network Engineers who will assist in the engineering of operationally focused solutions that bring together various technologies that support the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) under guidance of senior engineers.
GENERAL JOB DESCRIPTION:
The Jr. Network Engineer will assist in the configuration and deployment of various levels of networking equipment that incorporate multiple technologies, standards, processes, tools, and services into a stable, secure and effective system of systems in accordance with the FDA’s strategic direction and technical requirements. The selected candidate will also work directly with senior technical leaders to ensure that the proposed solutions are aligned with technical priorities, standards and established requirements. Relevant industry best practices and trends should be considered but must remain in line with FDA regulation and Federal Architectural Framework (FEAF) guidance.
Duties and Responsibilities
- The Jr. Network Engineer will work closely with the other engineers in the team to successfully prepare, configure, install, test and deploy all hardware and software required in modernizing the enterprise-level networking environment.
- Work with senior and lead engineers in coordinating all preparatory work required to facilitate the activities defined in modernizing the enterprise network infrastructure.
- Preparatory work will include configuration of all levels of network equipment, rack space, cabling, AC power, physical access for team members, coordination of after-hours activities, unpacking, staging and testing of equipment and the decommissioning of any legacy equipment.
- Preparing formal change request submissions for IT change management and work requests
- Provide accurate information to facilitate updates to the configuration documentation.
- Prepare detail documentation on the existing and to-be built networking environments, including all invidual components, configurations and associated networking diagrams
- Failiarity with enterprise networking principals
- Familiarity with various networking protocols; such as TCP/IP, OSPF, IS-IS, etc.
- Familiarity with virtual networking pricincipals
- Hands-on experience in configuring Cisco-based edge and distribution switches
- Experience in documenting architecture specifications, diagramming and modeling
- Experience with Federal Civilian organizations
- Bachelors degree, or two (2) years of hands-on experience in complex enterprise networking environment
- Certifications: Cisco CCNA is preferred
- Ability to work positively in a highly-coordinated team environment
- A desire to learn, adapt and expand personal knowledge and capability to grow into more senior roles
- Ability and willingness to follow directions from senior team members; as well as demonstrated self-confidence in speaking up on perceived technical conflicts and opinions to continuously improve delivery quality of the entire team
- Ability to assess/diagnose problems and requirements for work, identify root causes of technical problems, and recommend solutions
- Experience with Cisco networking principals and equipment
- Possess excellent organizational, communication, and writing skills